Dec12-2018, 17:46:32
TBCTAD : Wed 1746 UTC Dec12-2018

Proton

What Interests You?
« on: Jan22-2015, 18:16:34 »
I just finished my BS in Information Technology and will be returning to school sometime in the future, to pursue more things I am passionate about. I find the human body absolutely fascinating and I have a strong passion for technology. I was a nursing student for a while. I wanted to work in a trauma center, but my passion for technology overcame it. Over the past year or two, I have become very interested in bionics. I wanted to share one of my favorite TED talks.
https://www.ted.com/talks/hugh_herr_the_new_bionics_that_let_us_run_climb_and_dance#t-652261

So, what are you passionate about or really peaks your interest?

Offline Bull Eramix

• If a problem can't be solved enlarge it.Eisenhower
  • Division: Infantry
  • UTC Modifier: -4
Re: What Interests You?
« Reply #1 on: Jan22-2015, 18:27:28 »
I'm an all over Nerd who grew up on a farm, I have more useless knowledge up here than I care to admit.

Currently work in the garbage field, so I'm pretty up on sustainability etc.  Right from farming using horses to recycling and recovery.

Offline Benstruation

• Words
  • Division: Recruit Training
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #2 on: Jan23-2015, 11:38:52 »
Everything. I tend to have moments in which I'll obsess over a particular subject for a few weeks then move onto another then back to the previous then to another and another. Recently it's cognitive functions, artificial neural networks, quantum mechanics, procedural animation and John Singer Sargent. I kinda envy people with the ability to focus and not be interested in everything they read. That kind of selectivity with regards to attention would certainly be beneficial.

Bionics though does seem incredibly interesting. A lot of big news coming from it this last year.

Offline Waam

• UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #3 on: Jan23-2015, 15:55:59 »
On the subject of bionics...
What kinda annoys me sometimes is that I know for a fact that around '01 or so there was a design for a device that could have fixed para/quadriplegics like Reeves and others but bec of current methods of testing new things it prob will not even be announced for 30 years or so.

Overall...
<Soapbox>
We currently have the ability to make multi-generational starships, permanent colonies on places like the moon or mars, and actual bionic limbs that function like a normal hand/foot... However, since the powers that be say that it is fiscally impossible, or that the testing that would be required would be morally wrong, and that there are starving children in bumfuckistan that we need to send millions to bec its our duty. True advances will only be made when we throw out these excuses and get to it.
</Soapbox>

Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #4 on: Jan23-2015, 18:29:47 »
New interest. Finding out just where Bumfuckistan is. And does it not farm turnips?

Offline jackroller

• I'm your huckleberry.
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #5 on: Jan23-2015, 20:48:24 »
When will we get nanobots that can repair our cells individually?  That's what I want.

I have some music degrees which are totally worthless.  If you need some extra paper for your bionics diagrams I can hook it up.

Proton

« Reply #6 on: Jan24-2015, 19:23:34 »
Very cool. Glad to see all kinds of different interests. People create some pretty incredible things and I wish I had the time and resources to really understand all the things I would like to know about. I am waiting for the day when people truly realize what humans can accomplish as a collective.

Offline Bastet

• Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
  • Full Colors: MAY20-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #7 on: Jan24-2015, 20:40:06 »
Seems like an appropriate article.

http://www.eteknix.com/mind-worm-uploaded-lego-robot-make-weirdest-cyborg-ever

Mind of a Worm Uploaded to a LEGO Robot to Make the Weirdest Cyborg Ever