May24-2018, 10:10:42
TBCTAD : Thu 1010 UTC May24-2018

Offline Bastet

• Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: MAY20-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -4
http://countercurrentnews.com/2014/12/cop-finally-fired-after-refusing-to-turn-on-body-camera-when-he-shot-woman/#

After a foot chase on April 21, 2014, Hawkes was said to have pointed a gun at Officer Dear. That sounds like he was in the right to use lethal force against her. But the problem is – once again – his bodycam mysteriously malfunctioned.

To complicate things, the autopsy report says that all three gunshots were fired on Hawkes from a downward trajectory, indicating that officer Dear was actually standing over the teenage girl when he killed her.

But he hasn't been charged with anything (yet?). Incredible.

Offline Sarkhan

• Our presence remakes the past
  • Company Name: Six
  • UTC Modifier: -6
Re: Scary Shit. Police Bodycams should've been done ages ago.
« Reply #1 on: Dec10-2014, 23:15:00 »
Makes me sick.

Rakkas

« Reply #2 on: Dec11-2014, 00:29:02 »
And of course he has had 3 "malfunctions" prior to this

Offline Drifter

• Point me towards what needs killin'
  • Full Colors: MAY28-2015
« Reply #3 on: Jan15-2015, 22:14:16 »
It's cops like this that give good honest policemen(and women) a bad rap.

99 times of 100 I'll side with the police but a bad Apple is a bad Apple.

Proton

« Reply #4 on: Jan22-2015, 00:50:56 »
I find it very interesting that the government program that tracks arrest-related deaths by law enforcement allows for the voluntary submission of this data. And what the hell is up with grand juries almost never indicting LEOs after being involved in a murder.

Offline Bull Eramix

• If a problem can't be solved enlarge it.Eisenhower
« Reply #5 on: Jan22-2015, 14:37:56 »
I find it very interesting that the government program that tracks arrest-related deaths by law enforcement allows for the voluntary submission of this data. And what the hell is up with grand juries almost never indicting LEOs after being involved in a murder.

Note - Canadian so I'm not overly familiar with the system as a whole.

- What is the typical composition of Grand Jurys? If you have people from outside the less affluent communities I could see a greater sense of support for the police officers.

- Correctly or incorrectly, we do give cops guns, and expect them to receive training on when to make the right decision on use of lethal force (country independent here).  We also acknowledge that they do have a dangerous job - I think because of this the cop is going to get the benefit of the doubt 99 times out of 100.  I'm more or less OK with this, as 99/100 cops are truly the good guys.

- I think there does need to be a whole lot of additional training on non-lethal applications of force and dealing with the mentally ill as well as ensuring training includes that gut check of - is it worth shooting this person - are they truly a threat?  There are times when I think that is a bit of a missing step in some cases - or at least there is the appearance of that case.  The Sammy Yatim shooting of a teen armed with a pocket knife, on an empty bus comes to mind, as does the shooting of the child in the Boston? park.