May30-2017, 09:20:31
TBCTAD : Tue 0920 UTC May30-2017

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
This post is here in order to review and discuss the newest of the Star Wars movies, The Force Awakens. It will most definitely contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, do not continue reading...unless you don't care.

First things first, I absolutely LOVED the newest installment. It definitely had the feel of the Original Trilogy, despite the fact that some major story plots were recycled. All in all, I believe it was well made and I look forward to the next movie, which will be here in roughly a year and a half.

There are a few minor things I didn't enjoy, and I've found that true fans will either love or hate this movie. So far, I haven't seen any middle ground fans. The biggest thing for me was killing off Han Solo. Now, I know why Abrams did it; Ford mentioned he didn't want to be in another Star Wars film unless they kill him off. Which is what happened. And even though the Smuggler who had dodged death hundreds of times was killed by his wayward son, which in itself is a well written plot point in the series, I couldn't help but think that Abrams used Ray as a replacement for the manliest character in the 'verse in order to appease those who would make a stink about not having a badass female lead.

So whatchu all think?
« Last Edit: Dec21-2015, 00:57:57 by Bastet »

Offline Bastet

• Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
  • Full Colors: MAY20-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -4
Re: [Spoilers] Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: Dec21-2015, 00:58:20 »
 :stamp_denied: :stamp_denied: :stamp_denied: :stamp_denied: :stamp_denied:

:backtowork: :backtowork: :backtowork: :backtowork:
 :turnips: :turnips: :turnips: :turnips:
 :crazyguns: :crazyguns: :crazyguns: :crazyguns: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :wtf: :wtf:

Offline Algheri

« Reply #2 on: Dec21-2015, 04:20:25 »
We're not happy with it, eh Cap'?  :slime:

Offline Bastet

« Reply #3 on: Dec21-2015, 04:26:25 »
We're not happy with it, eh Cap'?  :slime:

I haven't seen it. Just fist pumping at the Spoilers  (that I didn't read) ;)

Offline Algheri

« Reply #4 on: Dec21-2015, 04:34:24 »
I see. Carry on, then. Make a return once you do see it.

Offline jackroller

• I'm your huckleberry.
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #5 on: Jan01-2016, 17:20:17 »
I seent it.   It was a good movie on it's own, very impressive visually. 

But.

I thought the plot was effing retarded.  "Ok guys we're going to have another Death Star but this time it's gonna be a as big as a planet!  Han Solo will die in the lamest and most predictable way ever, and oh yeah Luke Skywalker won't show up until the last 10 seconds looking like the Old Man and the Sea."   Huh?   

Rey and Kylo Ren are obviously brother and sister.  Lamest setup in the history of the Galaxy.  Two siblings having a lightsaber battle in the snow.

Han Solo and Leia have fucking kids together and the most affection they can muster is a hug?  I think bringing Carrie Fisher back was a huge mistake, she was terrible.

Female stormtroopers?  Captain Phasma?   SMH, give me a break!   Where are all the clones?

I said this about it to another TBC member:    Just because you call it Star Wars doesn't make it Star Wars.  George Lucas is rightly pissed.   It's like when Axl Rose put a new band together and called it GNR.  Episode VII is the Chinese Democracy of the Star Wars franchise.   

Offline Bastet

« Reply #6 on: Jan01-2016, 22:00:55 »
I enjoyed it for a lot of reasons. I think that it's a step in the right direction. Is it the ultimate Star Wars movie? No. I think that it tries to take a bite out of a big apple. I wish that they had another thing than a "huger ass Death Star" as the main feature of the movie, but considering two of the first three movies had "Deathstars"... it's a big hard to criticize this movie for... another Death Star. Hopefully, this will be the last one we see, and is used to reset the Star Wars world to a fresh introduction.

My biggest complaint with the movie is that there wasn't enough dramatic down time. Time to develop a sense of grandness that we got from the first movies. It wasn't rushed, but it didn't have a tempo from the first movies that gave us a feeling of "awe".

So, the next movie they need to slow it down a bit.

Offline Algheri

« Reply #7 on: Jan02-2016, 03:15:51 »
... another Death Star. Hopefully, this will be the last one we see, and is used to reset the Star Wars world to a fresh introduction.

And that's exactly what I have been telling everyone that has been complaining about there being 'another Death Star'; that it's a a very symbolic gesture, destroying the old, albeit with a modern look, to usher in the new.

Offline jackroller

• I'm your huckleberry.
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #8 on: Jan02-2016, 15:34:17 »
I'm not as forgiving as you guys apparently.  I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, but once Leia showed up it just turned silly.  You can have all the symbolism and a sense of moving into fresh territory you want and still not use the same basic plot device that was used twice before.  The worst part was the characters making jokes about having done it all before.  That was just insulting.

I didn't get the sense of it being a fresh introduction, more like an off-brand remake.   Disney wanted to distance themselves from George Lucas's storylines, and it really shows.
« Last Edit: Jan03-2016, 14:59:28 by jackroller »

Offline Koshka

• Quality is not an act, it is a habit. - Aristotle
  • Division: Support
« Reply #9 on: Jan03-2016, 15:46:27 »
I would have to agree with you Jackroller. I am hoping the next installment will show more promise of a new franchise of Star Wars, but like I said to my husband as we left the theater, we just watched a poorly done remake of A New Hope.  Now do not get me wrong, I am not a hater of this movie, so Algheri, you have met your middle of the road person. I'll be it, I am not the biggest Star Wars junkie, having just seen the original trilogy about 5 years ago.

I think they are breathing some life into the series by attracting a broader audience with more female front-liners and over all women badassery. I would have to disagree that Rey and Kylo Ren are brother and sister. I think it would have been more apparent. I think Rey is Luke's daughter.  All shall be revealed in the next movie I would think.  Though if she was Han and Leia's daughter I think it would have been mentioned and there would have been more emotion from Han. Why would he risk his life to save his son but not even tell his daughter that he was her father? However, it would make more sense if she was his neice.

So yes, it is essentially a big new remake with some twists. However, a little fast paced, but otherwise has a great sense of timing, it was not too long nor too short. Thank god they turned down the mother fuckin CGI. It was more natural and realistic. As for the puns, I mean come on? They are all over in the original trilogy and just as cheesy. I thought it felt more like the original triology myself.

Now what I did not like, all the storm troopers were in the same uniforms. I get the clones were killed off and they started recruiting but you are telling me other than the giant planet of death that there has been no advancement in armor, ships or general technology? I was hoping for a few upgrades to things. Instead it was just like they pulled out all the old equipment from the warehouse.  >.<

Offline Sarkhan

• Our presence remakes the past
  • Company Name: Six
  • UTC Modifier: -6
« Reply #10 on: Jan04-2016, 03:38:11 »
I absolutely loved it. From a general audience's perspective, I thought the film accomplished everything it was meant to do.

As for a Star Wars lore nerd, obviously there are things I don't agree with, but for the sake of a good story and moving the movie along, I was ok with it.

It would have been nice if there had been some more deviation from the 'same formula' as we see in A New Hope as well.

To be frank though, I thought it was too long!

Oh yeah, Carrie Fisher.... muhgawd. I was shocked she didn't show some fucking emotion when Han Solo died. I was expecting like holding her face screaming and wailing, but nope! All we got was her botox moving 1 1/2 cm out in each direction as she struggled to force some sadness onto her face.

Offline Laotzu

• Kill them All
  • Full Colors: DEC12-2008
« Reply #11 on: Jan05-2016, 03:54:34 »
Sooo I liked the movie overall... Really wish it wasn't a deathstar remake as others have mentioned. Han's death was so fucking predictable, I mean c'mon.

Loved Ren as a concept, which leads me to my biggest complaint. Kylo Ren was a giant fucking pussy. I mean seriously the weakest antithesis of the entire series who had apparently been trained as a jedi since childhood and then as a sith from then on.... literally a lifetime of training and he gets bested by the storm trooper with a lightsaber at least a little, any other sith would have fucking cut that chump down in half a second with a blaster shot in him or not, and then he gets his ass kicked by Ren who had found out she could use the force literally days before... I mean wtf. Worst villain ever.  He looks so badass in the first part of the movie and then just gets his ass ripped the last half of it. All of lucas' sith apprentice were besting multiple fully trained jedi at a time, never has one fallen to such untrained rabble.

My second biggest complaint was there is no grand plotting. The original series was a huge Sith conspiracy coming to light, this new Sproke or whoever seems ill prepared and consistently caught by surprise for someone who should be able to see and manipulate the future to a certain degree. The next movie better have some meat in it other than the reprocessed aged sausage we got with this one.
« Last Edit: Jan05-2016, 04:29:35 by Laotzu »

Offline Algheri

« Reply #12 on: Jan05-2016, 21:42:34 »
In regards to Kylo Ren getting hate for being beat by two force users,  I present to you this: http://imgur.com/gallery/7EhqwbF

Offline Laotzu

• Kill them All
  • Full Colors: DEC12-2008
« Reply #13 on: Jan05-2016, 23:44:08 »
 Two force users? What two?

Offline Bastet

« Reply #14 on: Jan06-2016, 02:52:08 »
Two force users? What two?

I guess Finn could possibly be a Force sensitive. I had considered it, but wasn't sure.

Anyways, the point is that he got shot by Chewie's Bowcaster and was weakened up so was at a handicap.