Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
After 2 years..
« on: Jan18-2013, 20:22:59 »
I finally have done it. I have read the complete TBC series. I found that as I read, I grew close to many characters, formed emotional bonds with them. Something that no other series has caused me to do. I have become obsessed with TBC lore, facets and principles of Brotherhod, so much so that I have incorporated TBC into a D&D campaign that I am taking part in, to great success. I have turned several of my friends on to the series and we discuss them and the characters contained therein many times throughout the week. Glen Cook is a wonderful author and The Black Company will forever remain my favorite sereis of novels. All that being said I truly think I earned the Historians Badge and am proud to have finished this wonderful task, albeit a bit upset that I have to wait so long for the next book!

Offline Stone

• AARRGG!!! Right in the shiny part!
  • Company Name: Stone
  • Division: Civilian
  • Full Colors: JAN25-2005
  • UTC Modifier: -6
Re: After 2 years..
« Reply #1 on: Jan18-2013, 20:46:06 »
 :ieffingagree:

Good Work... 'bout time .. and all that.

:stamp_accepted:

Offline Anja Talis

• Trust in tha' rust
  • UTC Modifier: +1
« Reply #2 on: Jan18-2013, 20:49:43 »
Good innit :)

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
« Reply #3 on: Jan19-2013, 05:05:23 »
Even in spite of you being in the Army already, you are now in the only position one can be to truly "get it".   What do I mean by this? You now understand why I chose The Black Company as a guild model all those years ago.

There are so many facets and aspects: brotherhood, military structure, history reaching back for very long time that creates an environment which in turn lets you know you are a part something So much bigger than the individual, a history was there long before you And you now get to be a part of it, that people come and go yet the Company remains.

As far as the bat last item, 99% of all guilds ever made for any game live, breathe, and most assuredly die on the back of the one person who creates it.   Very few guilds have survived after changing leadership.  Very few. Those that do carry-on, more often than not, more likely than not, and up taking on an entirely new persona, image, and feel that essentially boil down to the notion that it is an entirely brand new guild anyway.

Our guild TBC, Was very specifically designed in order to withstand changes in leadership, loss of leadership, and the furthering of new recruits through the process toward the goal of one day having them become officers, and yes, even the Capt.

I did not choose these novels simply because the name is cool, because I like the books, or because I simply wanted a military organization. I didn't choose this because I was too lazy or noncreative enough to come up with my own thing. I could not find a more perfect setting for what I wanted to do.  We will turn 10 years old this year and while we may not be active, for any number reasons, the fact that we are still here is a testament to the power of the novels. The power of those Novels carried forward into the hearts and minds of those of us who lovingly accepted this guild as our own.

I could easily go on and on and on, and often do. I do believe I have said enough for now to have made my point as clear as an un-muddied lake.  I think you "get it ".

I am proud of you for finishing this part of the journey. Welcome to a very select club within a very selective club.

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
« Reply #4 on: Jan19-2013, 06:53:43 »
I do have to agree with you about "getting it." Upon finishing the series while on my 8 hour shift today, I had a good 6 hours to ponder what exactly I had read in the nine books. I thought about my favorite characters. I thought about the Brotherhood so wonderfully displayed in the Annals. I thought about the love and the loss that seems to follow the Company to the ends of the earth, like some hungry Shadow from the Plain of Glittering Stone. I then began to compare what I had read during my 2 year journey into the Annals and how much of it could be compared to my career so far. I've seen Brotherhood, both in the Army and here in this Company. I've seen love and loss to a damn near emotionally crippling fashion. I've shared experiences, to a certain degree, with several of the main characters.

With all that said, I feel as though I completed some holy pilgrimage after finishing the Annals, as crazy as it sounds. I feel accomplished. I long for the days when we, as a Company, were destroying pixels in whatever virtual land we were deployed to. I look forward to the days in which we get to do that once more. I've said this many times in my fictional Annals whilst deployed to EVE: Soldiers come and soldiers go, but the Company remains. I now know, fully, what that means. I'm glad that I found this Company. I'm glad that I've met you all. I'm glad that I was introduced to the series. Finally, I'm glad  I am a part of this Brotherhood.

On another note. I'm getting back into writing. On a much larger scale than just writing little journal entries  for the Annals section on the forum. I'm trying my hand at writing fantasy novels. If in the unlikely event I actually finish it and a miracle comes along and it gets published...trust that the book will be dedicated to Glen Cook  and a majority of you all here.

Offline Xtra

• Verum Ipsum Factum
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: DEC13-2008
  • UTC Modifier: +10
« Reply #5 on: Jan19-2013, 06:55:45 »
 :stamp_accepted:

Offline Epiphany

• Benoit
  • Full Colors: DEC13-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #6 on: Jan19-2013, 15:46:15 »
 :runfaster:

Offline Kitsu

« Reply #7 on: Jan20-2013, 07:03:45 »
 :yh:

it's still my most prized badge that I earned in this Company. It's no question that you really do "get it" after reading the novels. I sent all my books to different brothers, but its been a number of years since I've read the series and I think it's about time I went through them again.

Offline Sarkhan

• Our presence remakes the past
  • Company Name: Six
  • UTC Modifier: -6
« Reply #8 on: Jan21-2013, 14:39:20 »
You and me both, Kitsu, I have the first book sitting on my bed-side table, waiting for me to restart the whole journey for a second time.

Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
« Reply #9 on: Jan24-2013, 11:11:48 »
You  :turnips: I thought you had already done this!

:yh:

Offline jackroller

• I'm your huckleberry.
« Reply #10 on: Jan24-2013, 18:10:09 »
 :stamp_accepted:    Congrats!