Jul20-2017, 20:35:54
TBCTAD : Thu 2035 UTC Jul20-2017

Grayghost

Once again a recruit ...
« on: Jan27-2011, 01:31:38 »
I stared. The command board was lit up in front of me like a Christmas tree. How I knew what a Christmas Tree was, I had no idea, but there it was. And the stars outside my canopy. Holy crap. Who knew there were that many of them! Last thing I remembered I was staring up into an energy vortex in the sky above a city in the desert. And now ... now I was here on the one-man bridge of a ship. A frigate. Ghostborn. It was called Ghostborn. And it was my ship.

"How the hell did I know that?" I mumbled to no one in particular, looking around at the various control panels, readouts, glowing plasma screens.

"Cut the chatter, Ghost! This is a goddamn combat channel, notcher freakin' personal diary."

I knew that voice. From back in the ... desert?

"Copy, Kingzmen," I replied. I almost added, 'sorry', but knew that would be pointless. I glanced at two of the screens. "All clear in this sector."

"Roger that, Ghost. Keep an eye out. There were a couple pirates in this area a short while ago."

"Copy." I flipped a switch and tapped out a command on a console to my left. A holographic overlay appeared in front of me. Two red dots were glowing at the far right edge of the apparition. I passed my hand through it, grasping air, drawing that section of space closer to me. Characters appeared beneath each of the red markers. "I've got two bogies, Kingz. Both frigates by the looks of 'em. They haven't seen me yet, but they are moving toward my position at about 400 kps."

"Copy, Ghost. Stay quiet. The LT and Pax are almost on me. 15 seconds and we'll be jumping into your system." His raspy chuckle came through my headset. "Like goin' fishin', huh?"

I smiled in the semi-darkness. I was back among my Brothers. I didn't know how I'd gotten to where I was from where I had been, but I knew I was where I was supposed to be. The Black Company. The nastiest, most ornery collection of bad-ass bastids this side of Cygnus X1. And every last mutha-fuggen one of 'em was my Brother.

"Yar-ho, Ghost." A new voice. My smile widened.

"Yar-ho, LT. Good to hear your voice again."

"Yeah, good to have you back. Now get back to work. Eyes on bogies. Report to the FC."

I looked back at the holo readouts and started feeding position, speed, sensor readings to Kingzmen, the Fleet Commander. Three hyperspace flashes off my port bow heralded the arrival of my brethren.

"My target." Kingz sounded happiest when he was about to kill something. "Lock. Go-go-go!"

The four Black Company frigates lit up and flashed toward the two bogies. They never knew what hit 'em.

I am Grayghost. And I am, once again, a recruit in the Black Company.

:obf:

Sodimm

Re: Once again a recruit ...
« Reply #1 on: Jan27-2011, 01:40:15 »
deeeecent short story :)

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #2 on: Jan27-2011, 01:43:37 »
You know Gray....that rivals some of my writing. Your return certainly adds a new dynamic to the Company's stay in EVE. I could have quite a bit 'o fun writing about that.

Offline Bastet

• Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
  • Full Colors: MAY20-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #3 on: Jan27-2011, 01:45:31 »
Great job Gray. If you want a blog, let us know.

http://tbchq.org/journals/

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
« Reply #4 on: Jan27-2011, 01:48:11 »
moved to -In those days...- Fan Fiction Board

For those that didn't check the EVE Online Official Forum - TBC Recruiting Thread , this was his contribution there

Good work, Gray.  And welcome back :)

Grayghost

« Reply #5 on: Jan27-2011, 01:54:00 »
Great job Gray. If you want a blog, let us know.

http://tbchq.org/journals/

That'd be good, LT, thanks.  Sometimes I feel the urge to blartch some creative.  Don't have as much time as I once did, but it'd be nice to have a TBC spiggot I could use for those times.

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
« Reply #6 on: Jan27-2011, 01:55:11 »
So, there I was, about to post a little snippet on the Eve Recruiting forum along with the Recruits...and guess what I saw? A snippet from one of my journal entries that Mocker had so graciously used. That made me smile :)

No homo ya' bastids.

And Gray, if you do manage to write some things down in the blog....I would be quite interested in reading them. Welcome back.
« Last Edit: Jan27-2011, 02:06:45 by Virgil Algheri »

Grayghost

« Reply #7 on: Jan27-2011, 02:01:59 »
Good work, Gray.  And welcome back :)

Cheers, Mocker!   :WhatNot:   Good to be back.  I've missed this crew.  Even after the bugout from AoC I tried all kinds of other outfits.  None came within a thousand miles of what TBC is and means.  Which is the reason I'm here and not there.  :)