Aug19-2017, 11:03:14
TBCTAD : Sat 1103 UTC Aug19-2017

Nexyrius

Your favorite movies?
« on: Jan26-2011, 21:03:31 »
Ok, haven't found any thread with same subject (might me somewhere in the archives but I missed it at any rate).

Well, the main question is as per title. Which movies do you like best? Do they mean something special to you? Or, why do you like them?

If you can, post some link or trailer.
I'll start by posting one of my personal favys:

The Fountain. I'll admit I first watched it because of Rachel Weisz, but it literally floored me. Deep meanings, allegory, spirituality, love, morality, history, myth, all interwoven. Not an easy movie to watch, but if you manage you will love it. Watch it more than once. Every time, a deeper layer will be revealed. It's one of those rare films which are a different movie every time you watch them.

The Fountain movie (trailer)
« Last Edit: Apr19-2011, 06:52:44 by Mocker »

Davion Falcon

Re: Your favorite movies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan26-2011, 21:15:13 »
That looks like a very interesting movie, adding it to the list of movies to watch, time now.

That said, I wouldn't want to live forever.

Nexyrius

« Reply #2 on: Jan26-2011, 21:20:48 »
That said, I wouldn't want to live forever.

Ah, that's a catchy line, but you have to watch the movie to fully comprehend why that question... hehe.

Offline Bastet

• Only the dead have seen the end of war. ~Plato
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: MAY20-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #3 on: Jan26-2011, 21:22:46 »
Totally added to my NETFLIX.

My favorite movie for a long time has been GATTACA....

The deeper meaning and message is infinitely valuable to myself.

The official trailer does suck... so here's a reedit. Not amazing, but passable.

Gattaca Movie Trailer (OFFICIAL RE-EDIT) 12TwelvePro
« Last Edit: Jan26-2011, 21:27:28 by Bastet »

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #4 on: Jan26-2011, 21:34:44 »
fight club movie trailer

By far, favorite movie ever. Why? Hard to explain. You have to watch it.

Offline Stone

• AARRGG!!! Right in the shiny part!
  • Company Name: Stone
  • Division: Civilian
  • Full Colors: JAN25-2005
  • UTC Modifier: -6
« Reply #5 on: Jan26-2011, 21:42:13 »
Fifth Element --- nuff said.

The Fifth Element Theatrical Trailer

Sodimm

« Reply #6 on: Jan26-2011, 23:34:03 »
Gattaca - saw that at 12 yrs old will always be a fav :P

Fifth Element - also saw around 12 years and a perma movie in my mind

but the best for me will always be this classic that I saw far too young (10 years old and at the direction of mt sci-fi loving mother!) :

Blade Runner theatrical trailer

I mean common just the way the movie starts is enough for me.

Actually I'm pretty stuck on this movie as well (also seen around 10 years old :P):

The Bridge of Death

I clearly remember seeing the nun scene and saying to mum and dad "What is oral sex ? How is that possible as sex is penis and vagina but oral means mouth ?" at that point I was told to be quiet else I'd have to turn the tv off and return the Monty python video :P

~ Interesting household, Dad was all about Monty Python(brittish/dry/black humour) and Mum was all about  Blade runner (Sci-fi) and neither felt I was old enough to watch the others movies but their own movies were always 'appropriate' :P

« Last Edit: Jan26-2011, 23:46:34 by Sodimm »

Grayghost

« Reply #7 on: Jan27-2011, 04:14:48 »
2001: A Space Odyssey has always been my favorite movie -- ever since I first saw it as a kid in the late 70s when it came to one of the bigger screens we had in Toronto --  it was called The University Cinema on Bloor Street, for those who remember or live(d) here (long since shut down - I think it's a William Sonoma now)

I remember being amazed by the cinematography and that soundtrack -- unbelievable.  I also loved the fact that, in an era where sci-fi movies abounded with all kinds of in-space sound effects, there was no sound in space in 2001.  Kubrick did a masterful job. 

I've read the book about a dozen times.  Also read the sequels (2010 and 2063) and "Lost Worlds of 2001", a series of notes and short stories by A.C. Clarke written before Kubrick made the film.

Wasn't as impressed with the film adaptation of 2010.  But 2001 was, is, and will continue to be my favorite movie of all time.  Unless something better comes along -- but the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Other favorites are the Star Wars films.  Having grown up with the series (I was 11 when the first movie hit the theaters in 1977) it's been an everpresent force (no pun intented) on my imagination from a relatively young age.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was also masterfully done.  I remember sitting in the theater when the first one came out -- almost right at the beginning where the hobbits narrative was taking place.  I thought to myself, this is pretty much exactly how I pictured it in my mind as I read the book.

Offline Kepi al-Duri

• No matter where you go, there you are
  • Division: Support
« Reply #8 on: Jan27-2011, 05:29:37 »
Ok, haven't found any thread with same subject (might me somewhere in the archives but I missed it at any rate).

Well, the main question is as per title. Which movies do you like best? Do they mean something special to you? Or, why do you like them?

If you can, post some link or trailer.
I'll start by posting one of my personal favys:

The Fountain. I'll admit I first watched it because of Rachel Weisz, but it literally floored me. Deep meanings, allegory, spirituality, love, morality, history, myth, all interwoven. Not an easy movie to watch, but if you manage you will love it. Watch it more than once. Every time, a deeper layer will be revealed. It's one of those rare films which are a different movie every time you watch them.

The Fountain movie (trailer)

The Fountain was deep IMO as well.  I wanted to hate it, I really did, but I'll be damned if I wasn't absolutely riveted to the screen the whole time.  That movie had my mind working the entire time.  Now that you mention it, I will need to watch that movie again to see what new aspects I can glean this time around.

Most influential for me are:
1.  Conan
Conan was a film I watched early on, to me it expresses the harsh reality of life to a fuggin' "T".
2.  Alien
Alien teaches us that "There be dragons here" and if you meet one, count yourself lucky to be alive recanting the tale.
3.  Blade Runner
Nothing needs to be said here.  This film is an evaluation of the Human condition.
4.  Dune
Dune taught me to read between the lines and to pay attention.

Zephora Hel

« Reply #9 on: Jan27-2011, 07:16:56 »
Don't really have one favorites, but there's a list that includes...

Fight Club
Fifth Element
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Amelie
O Brother Where Art Thou

:p

Offline Bull Eramix

• If a problem can't be solved enlarge it.Eisenhower
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #10 on: Jan27-2011, 12:40:13 »
I'll throw out Boondock Saints. It's not as deep as some of the ones mentioned, but I enjoyed it anyways.

Offline Xtra

• Verum Ipsum Factum
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: DEC13-2008
  • UTC Modifier: +10
« Reply #11 on: Jan27-2011, 13:15:37 »
I need to ponder ... in the meantime, watch this:

Death race 2000 (1975) [Trailer]

Offline Laotzu

• Kill them All
  • Full Colors: DEC12-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #12 on: Jan27-2011, 14:28:06 »
The Shogun Assassin movies(6) are excellent. They are still to this day banned in the U.S., but you can easily torrent them and they are from the 70's so not as much to worry about with Copyright infringement.  If you see something like "Death cart on the road to hell" it's the right line of movies, the English translation is pretty lame. I'd suggest viewing the ones with subtitles as I feel the dubs are stupid and take out the emotion of the Japanese language. 

The Big Lebowski is definitely among my favorites as well. Office Space, No Country for Old men... I'll post more later. I'll definitely check out some of the suggestions here, I've been itching for some good movies to watch.

Nexyrius

« Reply #13 on: Jan27-2011, 15:17:33 »
The Fountain was deep IMO as well.  I wanted to hate it, I really did, but I'll be damned if I wasn't absolutely riveted to the screen the whole time.  That movie had my mind working the entire time. 

I know how you feel. It is a "difficult" movie, it's not one to watch to just kill some time or be entertained.
~

Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives of Others)

If there was a film that portrays all the virtues and vices of humanity, this must be it. A story about the ability and willpower to change. The last line of the film is one of the most moving end lines I have ever read/heard: "Es ist für mich" (It is for me). Watch and you'll understand; and don't be intimidated by the subtitles. It is one of the great masterpieces of the decade.

The Lives Of Others Trailer HD

Nexyrius

« Reply #14 on: Jan27-2011, 15:23:51 »
Amelie

I love that movie!

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Not a very good trailer, but oh well:
Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain trailer