Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
  • UTC Modifier: -7
Re: The Book and Reading List Thread
« Reply #45 on: Jan16-2012, 00:57:17 »
Have you read "Raker"? It is the first TBC short and was published in a magazine

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #46 on: Jan16-2012, 00:59:51 »
You want a solid read? 

Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy.

Hands down the best read I've had in years, since Soldier's Live, to be sure.

G.R.R. Martin's books are pretty damn amazing as well.

maggot

« Reply #47 on: Jan16-2012, 01:04:15 »
=0 short stories?!? No I have not. Where can i find it? And how many short stories are there?
I have read Martins books they are for sure in my top five favorite series and i will also look up The First Law of trilogy. Thanks a ton for the suggestions.

maggot

« Reply #48 on: Jan16-2012, 01:24:55 »
 Joe Abercrombie's books sound absolutely amazing. I got on his website and after reading his book descriptions i felt like his books would be a combination of Cook and Martin. Can't wait to read them and Matty i cant seem to find anywhere that i can read the short stories you mentioned =/

Offline Stone

• AARRGG!!! Right in the shiny part!
  • Company Name: Stone
  • Division: Civilian
  • Full Colors: JAN25-2005
  • UTC Modifier: -6
« Reply #49 on: Jan16-2012, 01:41:57 »
Cook's Garret P.I. series are great reads.. albeit nothing like his TBC series... and Jim Butchers Dresden Files series is similar to Cook's Garrett stuff.... but set in a modern Chicago instead a full fantasy setting.  The stories and styles are similar... I like em both.

Cristopher Hinz  The Paratwa Saga.. one the best sci-fi trilogies out there... and lucky you, they re-ran these so you can pick them up for less than $125.00 for a used library paperback.

Lastly .. I have to point you to Larry Niven/Jerry Pournelle's classic Masterpiece of Sci-Fi A Mote in God's Eye.  If you have not read this book... do so.   This is one of my top five "I wish they would make the movie" books of all time.
and to a lesser extent, the sequel The Gripping Hand... and to even lesser extent the third book (by Jerry's daughter Jenny Pournelle).. Outies
« Last Edit: Jan16-2012, 01:43:25 by Stone »

maggot

« Reply #50 on: Jan16-2012, 02:04:26 »
I will look them up after dinner and tell you what i think but i generally prefer fantasy books or a modern war book but i might give the P.I. books a swing if they tickle my interest.

Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #51 on: Jan16-2012, 02:30:58 »
I will look them up after dinner and tell you what i think but i generally prefer fantasy books or a modern war book but i might give the P.I. books a swing if they tickle my interest.

to get the real feel for them I got them at the used book store. old and yellowing pages add to the flavor., while you are there pick up a set of the original Conan books. Same thing...aged text adds to the immersion factor.

maggot

« Reply #52 on: Jan16-2012, 16:02:39 »
I love my nook but i will always prefer a real book. I also like those nice big fancy sets rather then the old used books but i understand where you are coming from.

Offline Laotzu

• Kill them All
  • Full Colors: DEC12-2008
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #53 on: Jan16-2012, 16:08:01 »
This is a little off the subject matter of the rest of the suggestions, but I've been reading a bit different type of text recently. Mainly books to help me realize my potential/direction in life and ways to make it happen. Along with that good ole' motivation factor to keep me moving in the right direction.

So far the most life changing experience has been:

Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover." -> I don't care where you are financially this book is a must read. As an addition to this book I suggest excerpts from his book "Financial Peace" including the sections on Insurance and Investing. The rest of "Financial Peace" is all fine, but written like a text book I tend to treat it as such and just go for the information I need. (Most of the other information is laid out in a much better context in "total money makeover.")

Next on my list is "48 Days to the Work You Love" - I am about 2/3rds finished with this title and it has really helped me plan my direction and know what it's going to take to get there. Mocker I saw in one of your post you wondering what's next in your life in terms of employment ect, I highly suggest giving this one a go to help with that decision. 

These are the next three on my list.. I've only started one of them, but they have been recommended to me through so many different people/avenues that I don't mind giving the recommendation before reading:
"The Seven habits of Highly Effective People"*(just started and am really looking forward to getting back to it)
"The Millionaire Next Door"
"Guerrilla Marketing."

I'm at work atm, so I'll come back and update with authors when I get home. 

maggot

« Reply #54 on: Jan16-2012, 16:17:56 »
This is a little off subject of your off subject but when you said life changing experience it made me think of this book by Sebastian Junger titled "War". It really went into the soldiers life in war and made you understand what it felt to be there and made me want to join the military and i  am pretty sure the documentary Restrepo is based on the book. Oh and back on subject i love the self improvement books but always end up getting distracted before i can get into it by some sort of fantasy book. ADHD what can i do.

Offline Junkkmann

• whats this button do?
  • Division: Civilian
« Reply #55 on: Feb19-2015, 17:02:12 »
Patrick rothfuss, good reads, good author

Bernard Cornwell the saxon series, good historical reading

like the garret pi stuff as well, fun

wheel of time, rereading that series for like the 100th time, love Jordan

sm stirlings the change series and Nantucket series, both fun but the change series goes on for a load of books

world war z by max brooks is a good read, better than the movie

Offline Drifter

• Point me towards what needs killin'
  • Full Colors: MAY28-2015
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #56 on: Mar24-2015, 12:23:23 »
I recommend The Paladins series by David Dalglish.  4 book series about two paladins from opposing religions who become friends and the trials they face because of it.

Dlyn

« Reply #57 on: Mar24-2015, 15:23:18 »
Black dagger brotherhood by JR WARD is a good series.   

Offline Sarkhan

• Our presence remakes the past
  • Company Name: Six
« Reply #58 on: Apr11-2015, 10:00:46 »
I'm not sure if most of you have read this, maybe some of you did for high school, but Frankenstein. Read that book! It is so good. Its short too, a very quick read.

There is a lot to Frankenstein, it can be interpreted in a myriad of ways. Not only that but Mary Shelley was 16 when she wrote it, ok? 16!

I'll just leave with this quote that used to be my signature on the Breakfast Clubs boards.

"But I am a blasted tree; the bolt has entered my soul. And I felt then that I should reconsider what I shall soon cease to be: a miserable spectacle of wrecked humanity. Pitiable to others, and intolerable to myself." - Victor Frankenstein

There are times when that quote rings true with all of us, at some point in time or another, whether we like it or not.

Offline Bull Eramix

• If a problem can't be solved enlarge it.Eisenhower
  • UTC Modifier: -4
« Reply #59 on: Jun18-2015, 17:41:03 »
Dune Series - Frank Herbert (next on my reread list)

All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot (Animal lovers only. )

Do androids dream of electric sheep.

Asimovs collection of short stories relating to the 3 laws of robotics. Including I, robot.

The Charter.
« Last Edit: Jun18-2015, 17:41:52 by Bull Eramix »