Jul25-2017, 12:42:27
TBCTAD : Tue 1242 UTC Jul25-2017

Offline Bull Eramix

• If a problem can't be solved enlarge it.Eisenhower
  • Division: Infantry
  • UTC Modifier: -4
The Book and Reading List Thread
« on: Jan15-2011, 01:46:00 »
So I've been here for roughly a day now, and you guys have already extended my reading list a bit, being the  :iamretarded: person I am, I am going to ask if you have any other suggestions?

My reading list so far,

The Charter
Glen Cook, - Everything in the series
The Charter
Cosmic Banditos (not space banditos)

I was wondering if you had any others I might want to look into?

I'll make a recommendation of James Wesley Rawles' novel, The Patriots: A novel of survival in the coming collapse. Fair warning is that it can be a bit preachy at times, but it made me do some thinking about emergency planning etc.

I also highly recommend reading the charter, It's something I just can't seem to put down so you'll definitely want to read it more than once, and I think it will be soon seared to the back of my eyelids. 

« Last Edit: Mar02-2011, 22:15:21 by Mocker »

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
Re: The Book and Reading List Thread
« Reply #1 on: Jan15-2011, 03:14:16 »
Make sure to read the tbcoc. :D

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
« Reply #2 on: Jan15-2011, 03:36:13 »
"Cosmic Banditos"

I also recommend anything by Hunter S. Thompson and Kurt Vonnegut.

Offline Xtra

• Verum Ipsum Factum
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: DEC13-2008
  • UTC Modifier: +10
« Reply #3 on: Jan15-2011, 05:32:42 »
I'll raise this thread from the depths of the Annals -

http://tbchq.org/forums/index.php/topic,3221.msg27369.html#msg27369

... and .... if you want to order books online, I don't know how good Amazon.com is for those living in the U.S. but I've been using http://www.bookdepository.com/ which is based in the UK but offers *free* worldwide shipping. I've been using it a lot lately...
« Last Edit: Jan15-2011, 05:37:01 by Xtra »

Marie Morton

« Reply #4 on: Jan15-2011, 06:38:18 »
BLUF:
1. Peter F. Hamilton - Anything he's written
2. Neal Asher - Gridlinked
3. C.S. Friedman - Black Sun Rising (more fantasy than SciFi)

These might not be the type of thing you are looking for but hey, its a reading list thread so I'll throw my .02 in the ring.

For SciFi stuff, I'm a huge fan of Peter F. Hamilton. Start with "The Reality Dysfunction". I started there and have bought every book he's put out. I like the way that Hamilton describes basically a fork in the development of technology. One fork goes down the hardware path while another goes down a biological route. "Fallen Dragon" is also a great book. The description of how the planets resistance was able to manipulate the occupying force was great.

If you like dark, C.S. Friedman does dark really well. "Black Sun Rising" is more fantasy but is a good read.

In the last 2 months I've gone through a set of books by Neal Asher. I started with "Gridlinked" and then read 5 more of his books. He does space combat scenes really well.

McCordRM

« Reply #5 on: Jan15-2011, 07:13:57 »
By today's standards (that being having read so many re-makes of the old stories) this one
might be a bit predictable... but still WELL worth the read.

Orson Scott Card's book "Ender's Game". It's the awesome!

Davion Falcon

« Reply #6 on: Jan15-2011, 07:17:43 »
By today's standards (that being having read so many re-makes of the old stories) this one

The subsequent books in the series were particularly enlightening.  Not military oriented, but thought provoking.

Offline Tekerton

« Reply #7 on: Jan15-2011, 07:23:39 »

:ieffingagree:

Orpheus

« Reply #8 on: Jan15-2011, 08:51:48 »
I may have missed it in the old thread, but, I like history, and this one is particularly good for a military history book:
Title: Gates of Fire
Author: Steven Pressfield
It is a book about the Battle of Thermopylae. At certain points while reading it you get the feeling you are actually there.
Mr Pressfield was made an honorary citizen of Sparta for this book, the first ever foreigner to be thus honoured.

Deayso

« Reply #9 on: Jan15-2011, 10:08:24 »
If and anything at all I'd say the R.A.Salvatore Drizzit/Entreri Jar'axle books.   May be the most known "I'm a fantasy lover because I've ready the books and he's the best regardless of other authors".  The way he describes combat scenes is just amazing. 

The story line may be slightly generic and predictable, I's the seeing the means to the end with well portrayed characters that has always kept me interested in all of his books. 

For shits and giggles "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" is an interesting series(not fully out yet, should be 2 or 3 more books left after the first 4) is a good read.  Michael Scott takes influences from actual history and adds a very mythological swing on it, all while introducing generation "Y" to the fantasy aspects we grew up on...(It's a Young Adult/Scholastic book with modern shout out's to IPod's/Facebook's and such,  but I have to say when you can see references to the fantasy people would PnP to it's a good change of pace)

Long winded but the actual approved last 3 "Star Wars" books are good..Ties up all the lost ends of what happens after the Emperor dies and the remnants of the empire.  Not to much about Leia and the twins, but doesn't leave you wondering what happens when the Empire loses its leader..Great read if your into the "Star Wars" series...

Those so far are a most part of the series I've read...there are quite a bit more I've gotten to(My mother is a teacher so she usually buys me the 1st and 2nd of a series for holidays) but those are the ones that stick out the most. 

Hope you got some idea's out of this.  Serious intellectual books just don't float for me so no recommendations there. I work a lot so when I do my daily/nightly reading, it has to be a riveting SciFi-Fantasy adventure, allows me to escape the long hours and feel like I'm living far away from reality. 

Offline Tekerton

« Reply #10 on: Jan15-2011, 10:20:27 »
Salvator's Icewind Dale trilogy was great.   Everything else after that can lick my butt after a thirty mile hump.  Let me save you the time and money:  Drizzt kills everything and everyone with a "dance of blades".   twirly twirly flashitty flash flash slice slice Done.   No matter how big, intelligent, better, great, amazing, magical, superior numbers, whatever....dance of blades, whole world is dead.   It's makes every single Will Farrel Comedy seem like Shakespeare.   Kill an entire city of Illithids because they "fwoomp" attack over and over again...really?  fucking REALLY?  An ENTIRE city of 25 Intelligence Aliens....Really?  Fuck that dude and fuck his stupid ass unbelievable formulaic no surprise Win Every Time bullshit.   I will say this:  He did kill a couple characters.  Unlike Glen Cook...he brings them back to life.  Would you like some cheesy weaksauce with that? 

If anyone enjoys them, glad that works for you.    Enjoying things is the best part of life. 

Deayso

« Reply #11 on: Jan15-2011, 10:56:55 »
But that is the best part of Drizzit, the story is like every other, but trying to imagine the actual combat scenes makes it worth it, almost like you trying to pull of a 'OMG i just ripped his head off with this combo" (saw your AoC background, never played but heard friends jizz just about the head chops). 

Glen Cook makes you feel like your living it, Salvatore gives you a story with moments like your feeling it.  Cook drags me into a world while Salvatore drags me into a moment.  But that's the amazing thing about reading, different books give you different feelings.

Davion Falcon

« Reply #12 on: Jan15-2011, 19:40:31 »
Salvator's Icewind Dale trilogy was great.   Everything else after that can lick my butt after a thirty mile hump.  Let me save you the time and money:  Drizzt kills everything and everyone with a "dance of blades".   twirly twirly flashitty flash flash slice slice Done.   No matter how big, intelligent, better, great, amazing, magical, superior numbers, whatever....dance of blades, whole world is dead.   It's makes every single Will Farrel Comedy seem like Shakespeare.   Kill an entire city of Illithids because they "fwoomp" attack over and over again...really?  fucking REALLY?  An ENTIRE city of 25 Intelligence Aliens....Really?  Fuck that dude and fuck his stupid ass unbelievable formulaic no surprise Win Every Time bullshit.   I will say this:  He did kill a couple characters.  Unlike Glen Cook...he brings them back to life.  Would you like some cheesy weaksauce with that? 

If anyone enjoys them, glad that works for you.    Enjoying things is the best part of life. 

Sell Swords Trilogy.  Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle.  Fucking awesome.

Ian Vhai

« Reply #13 on: Jan16-2011, 07:16:47 »
Read most of the aforementioned. Good stuff.

George RR Martin - Fire and Ice, good stuff.
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth series
Every Star Wars book - Loved them all, but I am a SW fan, especially like M. Stackpole/Zahn
Robin Hobb - Great fantasy writer, love her style
Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn
Neil Gaiman - American Gods is a good place to start. I even love his children books, awesome author.

I could list a thousand more, I love to read when I shit, and I shit a lot.

Offline Tekerton

« Reply #14 on: Jan16-2011, 07:36:05 »
Oh...Anything by Timothy Zahn in his Star Wars books.  Hands Down the best SW books out there.