• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
  • UTC Modifier: -5
Relaxing, Recruiting and Conscripts
« on: Nov21-2010, 22:46:20 »
Relaxing, Recruiting and Conscription

I had just returned from a self-assigned scanning mission and was amazed to see all the hustle and bustle taking place at the Recruitment Office. At least fifteen people, both young and old, were taking copies of The Company Charter and reading them or attempting to speak with a recruiter. It was a sight to behold in light of the fact that we, as a Company, had hit a wall of inactivity in terms of applications.

I did as I usually do after a mission, and even during the mission itself despite the constant grief from Staff Sergeant Kingzmen, and lit up a cigarette. I pulled the Soulcatcher’s emblem from my pocket and pinned it to my collar; I had nothing else to do tonight and I wanted to show that damn thing off to as many non-Company members as possible. I took pride in that little piece of metal, for I took pride in being a part of, by and for The Black Company.

I leaned up against a nearby wall,  hidden in the darkness of the station and observed the activities at the Recruiting Office. As I took another drag from my cigarette and watched the lit end light up a very small part of the area I was in, I noticed several of the Brothers walking by. Nerv was among them and he glanced in my direction. I was convinced that all he saw was the tiny orange glow from my cigarette. I couldn’t find any justifiable reason as to why I liked to seem mysterious, possibly because I really wasn’t.

I finished my cigarette, extinguished it and stepped out from the shadows. I was in the mood to learn more about the history of The Black Company so I headed towards the Annalist’s Headquarters. Upon arriving, I said hello to Annalist Stone and picked a random Annal. After ten or fifteen different entries I knew a bit more about The Company.

I wanted to talk to Stone about the Annals which I read, but he seemed mighty busy so I opted for plan B; go outside for a smoke. I returned from smoking and saw that Stone wasn’t too busy, so I bugged him for a while.

It seems The Company has seen a lot of members prior to New Eden. They’ve been on several deployments to different lands and if tradition continues, The Company will see more deployments outside of New Eden. Needless to say, I was generally excited to hear that we wouldn’t spend the rest of our lives here.

When all was said and done between me and Stone I went about my way. I had a long night and decided to head back to the barracks to catch some sleep, but that plan got changed en route. The Lieutenant found me in the barracks and told me to report to the Recruitment Center.

I grumbled an affirmative and proceeded to head towards the Recruitment Center. When I arrived, I unlocked the door and sat down behind the desk. I began to oragnize the slew of papers on the desk, most of which were The Company’s recruitment flyers. We had them posted all around the station and to be quite honest, I was tired of looking at them. Oh well, such is life.

I spent all day handing out pamphlets and telling people about our recruitment process. A couple of them even signed up for conscription. Fresh meat. It was good to see so many people interested in being a part of The Black Company. Now, whether they make it through the recruitment process is another story.

The Lieutenant came to the Recruitment Center later that night, dressed in her flight suit and looking quite professional. I snapped a crisp salute which was returned promptly.

“Evening Patches. Everything going well over here I presume?” She began to peruse through all of the conscription applications.

“Yeah, I guess you could say that. We got a few conscription app’s in, awaiting leadership’s approval. Other than that, nothing really happened today.”

The Lieutenant grabbed a stamp and began to stamp and sign the conscription applications. She then handed them back to me for filing and as I did so, I took a quick look at them once more. All but one or two were accepted. I smiled in approval; more bodies with which to strengthen The Company.

I was relieved of duty shortly thereafter and I headed to the station pub to grab a drink. The pub was alive with music and quite a few animated, albeit intoxicated, individuals. I walked up to the bar, sat down and ordered myself two shots of the strongest whiskey.

As I downed my first shot in one gut-rotting gulp, I saw my fellow wingman Emery sitting with some conscripts. I couldn’t make out what he was saying but he was moving his hands around quite obnoxiously. I took my second shot with me as I walked up to Emery’s table.

“You tellin’ war stories again, you sad sap?” I asked with a tiny smile

Emery chuckled a bit. “Oh, you know it Patches. You know it,” He motioned to one of the conscripts “hey mook, you’re sitting in Patches’ seat.”

The conscript, no taller than the last girl I ‘spent time’ with (and probably weighed less too), looked up at me with widened eyes. I lit up a cigarette and set my shot on the table in front of the conscript.

I leaned in, nice and close, to the kids ear. “Now.”

With that one word the conscript jumped up like he had been shot in the ass and scampered off to some dark corner of the pub. Emery took a swig from his beer mug and propped his feet up on the table.

“So Virg, what brings you here at this hour? Aren’t you supposed to be out on recon duty or some shit?” He said mockingly.

“Your girlfriend decided to cancel our plans for the night Em, so I decided to head here for a few drinks.” I replied with a cold stare.

For a split second, all noise in the pub faded out. You could cut the tension with a knife. Suddenly, Emery bursted into quite a loud laugh, scaring nearby patrons and causing them to jump a little. He stuck out his left arm and I reached over with my right and firmly grasped the inside of his forearm as he grasped mine.

“So what’s new Em? I haven’t seen you around in a while. Kingz got you doing turnip runs or something?”

“Nah, I’ve been studying. What with the new CPCT out and all the skills I’m trying to learn, I’ve been pretty busy.”

I nodded in agreement and downed my second shot of whiskey. The night went on. Emery telling stories, myself smoking cigarettes and drinking copious amounts of whiskey. Even Staff Sergeant Kingz showed up with a deck of cards, which led to a few games of Tonk.

Before I knew it, I was two hundred ISK in the hole and on my way back to my rack. It was a long day and I was damn glad to get out of my flight suit and hop in the rack. Tomorrow was a new day, and a busy one at that. It was finally time for The Company to get back to work…
« Last Edit: Jan04-2011, 19:18:55 by Virgil Algheri »

Bastian Cosgrave

Re: Relaxing, Recruiting and Conscripts
« Reply #1 on: Nov25-2010, 02:17:16 »
Thats some wonderful writing, I really enjoyed the read and It defenitly add's some character to someone I have yet to meet.

Offline Laotzu

• Kill them All
  • Full Colors: DEC12-2008
« Reply #2 on: Nov25-2010, 03:12:10 »
Nicely done Patches! I very much look forward to reading more from you.

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
« Reply #3 on: Jan28-2011, 21:32:24 »
good work Patches...this is a fun one to go back and read every few months.  Puts things into perspective .

Offline Algheri

• Only a conqueror bothers to honor a fallen foe
  • Company Name: Patches
  • Full Colors: DEC16-2010
« Reply #4 on: Jan28-2011, 21:35:38 »
Thank you much Mocker. I do go back to it every so often. Maybe it's because I'm vain or maybe it's because it reminds me to continue the recruiting. Either way, I'm glad you all enjoy it, and I'm glad it made it into "In those days..."