TBCTAD : Fri 1825 UTC Nov24-2017

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
  • UTC Modifier: -5
Re: The Black Company - Book One: The Black Company
« Reply #30 on: Feb14-2011, 22:50:26 »
While my 11-yr-old was hunting for book #6 of the Cirque du Freak series (can't go wrong with half-vampires), I snagged TBC Book One!  Managed to read most of it on the plane back from Alabama.

Good stuff!  I'd love to see one of the early drafts before it was edited down to size.  I get the feeling there was a lot of background story/character dev that didn't make it into the first book.   Looking forward to the next one.

While not precisely the "back story", the Dread Empire series is largely held as the pre-cursor to the Company works in so far as Glen Cook's creative process.  If you like the Company books, you may enjoy those as well.   On a side note but in the same vein, check out the Gate page for our own in house fan fiction stories, -In those days...- Fan Fiction Board...some very good stuff up there.

Loki North

« Reply #31 on: Apr07-2011, 05:24:09 »
i picked up the dread empire chronic a great wile back, at the time it was to hard of a read. i always felt i was missing parts of the story. wile in borders the otherday, i stumbled on to tbc. i started reading, and an hour later was told to buy the book or get out. its 2 days later and im almost finshed with book 2. i love tbc, im so glad i gave it a chance.

it reminds me a bit of wh40k, tanth 1st and only, tho its clear tbc came first.

Gordon McClaine

« Reply #32 on: Apr07-2011, 18:41:01 »
Funnily Enough I have just stopped at Book 3 (The White Rose) and decided to read part of Gaunts Ghost - Tanith First And Only.

:stamp_accepted:

Loki North

« Reply #33 on: Apr08-2011, 06:11:53 »
ghost is a good series, but you will learn soon its very diffrent.
you will see, not goin to spoil it. but if you read past the 3rd book, ur going further than i will.
almost at the end of tbc 3rd book, i almost dont want it to end.

Makowski

« Reply #34 on: Apr08-2011, 10:30:04 »
I am always up for a good read, you guys have convinced me to pick this series up. Thanks.

Sweater

« Reply #35 on: Jan25-2012, 00:47:59 »
The books are how life should really be...a band of brothers getting together and not caring about each others past and having one another's backs and training and playing games of tonk and having close friends. not the way the world is today >>

maggot

« Reply #36 on: Jan26-2012, 17:27:41 »
Sweater read "War" by sebastien junger its a compelling book about a group of mine in Afghanistan and they are a band of brothers just as much as the Black Company

Sweater

« Reply #37 on: Jan27-2012, 03:17:49 »
Bandits and prisoners that came together and are now a mercenary army for hire?

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #38 on: Jan28-2012, 07:33:59 »
I recall one of you saying you don't play mmo's anymore.  I can tell you this much...what you two described in the last few posts is precisely what we've created here.  As it says in our Charter, we are not the Company of old, we are the continuation of it having gone forward.  The virtual Company we've created is nothing short of amazing.  Eight years later and we're still here.  While we are dormant for now due to a variety of reasons, it won't be long before we deploy again.  If you truly want to experience what you have read in the books, there is no better place than this guild.  I say this not just as Captain, but a Brother.

Sweater

« Reply #39 on: Feb04-2012, 06:27:58 »
*strokes his beard nodding*