• Company Name: Stone
  • Division: Civilian
  • Full Colors: JAN25-2005
  • UTC Modifier: -6
The Black Company - Book One: The Black Company
« on: Oct01-2009, 16:39:47 »
Publisher: Tor Fantasy (March 15, 1992)

From the Back Cover:

Some feel the Lady, newly risen from centuries in thrall, stands between humankind and evil. Some feel she is evil itself. The hardbitten men of the Black Company take their pay and do what they must, burying their doubts with their dead.

Until the prophesy: The White Rose has been reborn, somewhere, to embody good once more.

There must be a way for the Black Company to find her...

Find it on Amazon
« Last Edit: Oct11-2009, 02:04:39 by Mocker »

Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
  • UTC Modifier: -7
Re: The Black Company - Book One: The Black Company
« Reply #1 on: Oct11-2009, 05:05:13 »
Woot!! Post One in Book One!!!

The Black Company does not suffer malicious assault upon it's men.

quoted from very near the beginning of the first Book. IMHO this is the first sentence in the definition of the one character that is the Black Company.
« Last Edit: Oct11-2009, 05:16:25 by Matyra »

Offline Matty

• I am that Turnip
  • Company Name: Turnip
  • Division: Support
  • Full Colors: SEP11-2009
  • UTC Modifier: -7
« Reply #2 on: Oct14-2009, 22:34:26 »
Was the first book also printed titled The Annals of The Black Company?

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Division: Infantry
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
  • UTC Modifier: -5
« Reply #3 on: Oct15-2009, 05:03:54 »
yes.  I own a first edition hard cover of this...was a gift, very treasured

Offline Dayne

• Wait for the opportune moment.
« Reply #4 on: Oct15-2009, 15:30:47 »
so far this is the only physical book i own.  i have them all in e-format and working through them.  i try to ignore the spoilers but you guys suck sometimes :P

Offline Waam

« Reply #5 on: Oct22-2009, 19:44:20 »
What E-format? I am looking for one that is compatable with my kindle atm...with little success.

Offline Inconvenience

• "Do not touch the trim"
« Reply #6 on: Jan18-2010, 04:26:38 »
yes.  I own a first edition hard cover of this...was a gift, very treasured

Fuck You, Sir

/salute

Offline Inconvenience

• "Do not touch the trim"
« Reply #7 on: Jan18-2010, 04:29:11 »
What E-format? I am looking for one that is compatable with my kindle atm...with little success.

How is reading on those things? I love technology but there is something about holding a book in your hands.
« Reply #8 on: Jan20-2010, 01:16:54 »

How is reading on those things? I love technology but there is something about holding a book in your hands.

and the smell from the paper. One of my favorite smells in used book stores.

Rokolith

« Reply #9 on: Feb18-2010, 05:08:49 »
I got my dad the Chronicles of the Black Company that includes the first three books for Christmas and tonight I read the first 100 pages of the book. At first it was hard to get into, I'm used to Terry Goodkind style books where they go over every detail and explain all sorts of extra fluff things. But these books are straight to the point and force you to use your wit to keep up. After a while it grew on me and I stopped caring about how 'magic works' in the book (its always a bunch of mumbo jumbo about energy or cosmic power anyways) and just enjoy this story about this badass group of mercs happily working for evil overlords while every once in a while they reach the limit of their inhumanity tough guy thing and do what the feel like doing.

Very interesting book, so far shaping up to be one of my favorite fantasy novels.

Offline Tekerton

• Run Faster, Keep Flyin'
  • Full Colors: APR01-2003
« Reply #10 on: Feb18-2010, 06:38:25 »
I got my dad the Chronicles of the Black Company that includes the first three books for Christmas and tonight I read the first 100 pages of the book. At first it was hard to get into, I'm used to Terry Goodkind style books where they go over every detail and explain all sorts of extra fluff things. But these books are straight to the point and force you to use your wit to keep up. After a while it grew on me and I stopped caring about how 'magic works' in the book (its always a bunch of mumbo jumbo about energy or cosmic power anyways) and just enjoy this story about this badass group of mercs happily working for evil overlords while every once in a while they reach the limit of their inhumanity tough guy thing and do what the feel like doing.

Very interesting book, so far shaping up to be one of my favorite fantasy novels.

I've been reading these books repeatedly for over 20 years now.   Believe me when I say that what you just described is exactly what 95% of the people say when reading these books for the first time.    Much like tomatoes and the Grateful Dead, after that first really strange texture, you either really love them or really hate them.   

Keep reading...they don't stay the same and they get better and better.   

Erige

« Reply #11 on: Feb24-2010, 08:36:34 »
I recently purchased the same book. Little hard to get into, definitely reading it a little slower then some other books I have read. Also I am reading 3 other books along side it, which is making it harder to get into.

Offline Stone

• AARRGG!!! Right in the shiny part!
  • Company Name: Stone
  • Division: Civilian
  • Full Colors: JAN25-2005
  • UTC Modifier: -6
« Reply #12 on: Feb24-2010, 16:43:01 »
I recently purchased the same book. Little hard to get into, definitely reading it a little slower then some other books I have read. Also I am reading 3 other books along side it, which is making it harder to get into.

Put it down and come back when you can dedicate your mind to it.

Bone

« Reply #13 on: Mar19-2010, 14:25:41 »
Just started reading the first book i'm loving it so far. :accepted:

stocky170

« Reply #14 on: Mar19-2010, 18:03:27 »
i read the swordbearer first then jumped right into the Black Company series
and counld not put it down i read the frist 6 books and the swordbearer in about 2-2 1/2 weeks stoped for a month or so (kill myself reading that much that fast) then picked back up and still love them, though the return of the Black Company (which has bleak seasons and she is the darkness) were by far the slowest i found in the series not to say they werent good just slow IMO